‘Joy for Nepal’ Campaign Raised Over 100,000 Euro
Joy for Nepal’ fundraising campaign, launched by high-altitude climber Alex Găvan, raked in so far the RON equivalent of 101,000 Euro in order to finance some post-earthquake reconstruction projects in Nepal.
The majority of raised funds poured in from individuals who donated 2 Euro via each SMS sent to a number offered through www.donatie.ro platform. This number has been deactivated starting August 1st, and it can’t be used anymore for supporting #joy4nepal cause. A total of 31,070 SMSs have been sent until July 31st, donating this way the RON equivalent of 62,140 Euro. Following www.donatie.ro platform’s procedures, the entire amount will be transferred towards the project after September, all phone-network operators agreeing to support this campaign free of charge.
The rest of funds have been raised through donations via card payments online, bank transfers from individuals and companies, as well as other fundraising activities such as: a humanitarian project with children from a kindergarten (which brought in over 1,000 Euro); a session of ZUMBA ® charity in Pitesti (raised 560 Euro); a garden party with charity auction (raked in the RON equivalent of 5,000 Euro).
In August-September donations will still be possible via www.alexgavan.ro/nepal site and sponsorships. Another fundraising campaign for the cause is ongoing in this period, initiated by Paravion, which created a feature to its website meant to allow customers to donate 1 Euro upon acquisition of travel services. Paravion will double every contribution made by its customers and the opportunity to donate is available in many countries where the company operates.
‘Thank you to all those who made this project possible. The thought that there are tens of thousands of people who contributed to this campaign fills my heart with emotion and gratitude. I feel as if we climbed together an 8,000m summit – my seventh. Just as in the Himalayas, where once you have reached the peak you need to come back to base camp in order to complete the ascent, now we get to the second part of the project: the accountable and transparent transfer of this money towards the intended reconstruction activities. To date, our partners in Nepal, Karuna-Shechen, have assessed the needs in the field. Now we are in discussions with them to identify the projects we are going to finance and we will publicly announce them once established’ declared for media Alex Găvan.
All raised funds will reach Nepalese people in need, through special reconstruction projects managed by Kharuna-Shechen organization, founded by renowed author Matthieu Ricard. The raised funds will mainly finance reconstruction operations in isolated communities affected by the earthquake, such as rebuilding schools.
No funds raised are used to cover any administrative expenses, as the entire fundraising campaign is done pro-bono by people and companies from Romania who got involved willing to do good; and Karuna-Shechen has all administrative costs covered by its own sponsor.
The fundraising campaign Joy for Nepal was launched on May 19, 2015, following the tragic earthquake that devastated Nepal on April 25, 2015. That day Alex was in the Lhotse/ Everest Base Camp. The Campaign’s website www.alexgavan.ro/nepal will publish activity reports to track transparently both the use of funds and the progress accomplished.
The Partner in Nepal – Karuna Shechen
Karuna-Shechen was set up in 2000, by Matthieu Ricard, with the mission to provide quality healthcare, education, and social services to individuals and families in the poorest communities in Tibet, Nepal, and India. The organization places a special emphasis on the empowerment of women and young girls and the preservation of cultural heritage. Over twenty years of experience have allowed the organization to establish a collaborative team of professionals who work within local communities to identify and implement projects that respond directly to their needs. Even in adverse political situations, their projects have continued to thrive because they are community-based in scale and focus.
Born in France in 1946, as the son of French philosopher Jean-François Revel and artist Yahne Le Toumelin, Matthieu Ricard is a Buddhist monk, author, translator, and photographer – regarded as “the happiest man in the world”. After completing his Ph.D. degree in cell genetics in 1972 at the Pasteur Institute under French Nobel Laureate François Jacob he moved to the Himalayan region where he has been living for the past 40 years.
Matthieu Ricard is the author of several books, translated into over twenty languages, such as: ”Happiness: A Guide to Developing Life’s Most Important Skill”, „Why Meditate? (The Art of Meditation in the UK)”,”The Quantum and the Lotus (a dialogue with the astrophysicist Trinh Xuan Thuan)”, and ”The Monk and the Philosopher”, a dialogue with his father.
Matthieu Ricard is a board member of the Mind and Life Institute, an organization dedicated to broadening the understanding of how the mind works. He contributes to the research on the effect of meditation on the brain at various universities in the USA and Europe and is the co-author of several scientific publications. He also contributed for the book Destructive Emotions, edited by Daniel Goleman.
He received the French National Order of Merit for his humanitarian work.
WHO SUPPORTS US:
The Expedition for Lhotse Ascent was supported by CertInvest (Main Partner), TotalSoft (Partner), Zitec (IT Partner), OMA Vision (Communication Partner), and also by Intercapital Invest, Accountess, World Class, Suplimente.ro, Sanador (Supporters).
The Joy for Nepal Campaign is supported so far by:
- Friends: Ivan Patzaichin, Sprint Canoe Olympic Champion; Oana Pellea, Actress; Eugen Voicu, Founder CERTINVEST; Cătălin Tolontan, Journalist; Liviu Drăgan, CEO TotalSoft; Cristian Lascu, Speleologist; Vlad Mixich, Journalist; Adelin Petrișor, Journalist.
- Partners who made this project possible: OMA Vision, ZITEC, ZVÂC, NETOPIA, HEADVERTISING, ACCOUNTESS, Graphician Tuan Nini, MINDSHARE, CCIFER, donatie.ro, Ana Florea, 148 Creative Sound Studio, Alex Tuhut Voice Over.
- Corporate Donors: CERTINVEST, Cris-Tim, TotalSoft, Hyperion Media, Trend Consult, Hipo, TatKraft GmbH, ROHOST, PC4U, Pierre Basma Consulting, Kaizen Institute, Hyperion Media, Human Invest, Timac Agro, Paravion.
- Media Partners: TVR, TVR News, Reality TV, Dolce Sport, Sports Gazette, RFI Romania, National Geographic, FP România, Men’s Health, Think Outside the Box, Decât o Revista, Auto Motor Sport, House & Garden, Woman Today, Dilema Veche, Historia, Adevărul, Adevărul-Weekend, Romania-pozitivă.ro, Cariere, Kiss FM, Magic FM, Rock FM, Kiss TV, Antena 3, Observator TV, Radio România Actualități, Eurosport, Discovery, UPC, Expo TV, Itsy Bitsy, Radio Tananana, Gold FM, FP România, HR Manager, Unica, wall-street.ro, Click!, emunte.ro, HAC Publishing House.
- The SMS Donations Campaign was done with the support of Orange, Telekom Romania Mobile, Vodafone and ARC networks.
- The Garden Party and Charity Auction have been supported by Băcănia Veche, Greeinitiative, Rottenberg Vineyard, Artist Maria Nouvelle, TNT Brothers, Rotenberg Gallery, Uzunov, Moritz Eis, Bulandra Theatre, Mello Drinks, Rubicon.
For additional details: